Minority Rights Group International (MRG) Deputy Director, Claire Thomas, writes this opinion piece for the Thomson Reuters News Foundation.+ LEARN MORE
Deadline: 17:00 BST, Friday 16 December 2016
Please note that recruitment for this position will occur on a rolling basis, so applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible.
This role would likely be most suitable for someone who wishes to make a career in Finance in the not-for-profit sector and who wants to gain some experience. In the past we have had interns in this role who are just starting out in their Finance career as well as some who are the processing of adding to their qualifications.
The purpose of the internship is to assist MRG achieve its objectives through the provision of effective support to the finance team and to projects and programmes managed and coordinated by the Programmes and Communications Departments and to all staff members through the Director of Finance and Admin.
Main duties and responsibilities
Financial administration and processing
- Process and post financial records and transactions into the accounting system.
- Follow up on transfers to partners and ensure that all have been properly posted into the partners’ accounts.
- Check partner financial reports and receipts, make adjustments, follow up with partners for additional documentation, and liase with other Finance department staff regarding queries with partner financial reports
- Assist Programmes and Communications staff in ensuring that expense returns are properly made and promptly posted into the accounting system.
- Liase with Programmes and Communications staff in securing receipts and supporting documentation for MRG credit card payments on a monthly basis, in cooperation with the MRG Finance Officer (Donor Reporting)
- Assist with bank reconciliation statements for MRG GBP and foreign bank accounts
- Assist the Finance team with other data entry and with preparation for project and year-end audits.
- Undertake such other tasks as may reasonably be requested by the Director of Finance & Administration from time to time.
- Respect and work towards full implementation of MRG’s gender and equal opportunities policies
- Responsible for maintaining confidentiality as the job holder will be entitled to access to confidential information pertaining to MRG’s strategies, detailed financial information, and also access to sensitive external information which may impact on MRG’s activities.
Degree of supervision
- The post-holder will report to the Director of Finance & Administration and be expected to work within the work plans of the Finance & Administration Department and of MRG as a whole.
- The intern will be based at MRG’s office in London.
The post requires the following skills and experience:
- Accounting qualification or demonstrated ability to learn quickly
- Good communication and interpersonal skills to deal with a diverse clientele and staff
- Good Excel skills
- Commitment to the work, aims and objectives of MRG
- Enthusiastic about working in a multicultural environment
- Committed to gender equity and equal opportunities
- Numerate and confident in handling figures
- Interest in human/minority rights
- Knowledge of/interest in foreign languages
Ideally, an intern would work 3 days a week (if possible) and would like someone willing to commit to staying for 4-6 months – as otherwise we find it takes you that long to get confident in our systems and procedures. However, we do understand if you are interning whilst seeking paid work that you may leave before 4-6 months if offered a suitable paid role. Starting date will be agreed at the interview.
MRG covers travel expenses (up to £8) and lunch (up to £6) daily – other than that this role is unpaid.
If you wish to apply for the intern role please send a send a CV by email to firstname.lastname@example.org