Minority Rights Group International (MRG) Deputy Director, Claire Thomas, writes this opinion piece for the Thomson Reuters News Foundation.+ LEARN MORE
Human rights research intern
Deadline for applications: 9am – 4th January 2016
Minority Rights Group International is looking for a human rights research intern to work in its Cultural Programmes Department. This is a unique opportunity to research and analyse linkages between culture and human rights on a global scale.
This is a research and analytical role in MRG’s department coordinating cultural and human rights programmes. Initially, you will focus on assisting MRG’s senior staff in developing an analytical article providing both theoretical and practical perspectives on how culture can be used as an instrument for promoting and securing human rights, with a focus on minorities and indigenous peoples. You will also conduct background research to support design of new projects by the Cultural Programmes department.
You should have solid experience in desk research, a good understanding of culture and interest in issues affecting minority and/or indigenous peoples’ rights. We also welcome ERASMUS candidates.
Tasks would include:
- Conducting bibliographical research on the subject of culture and human rights
- Researching historical and current examples of how culture has been used to promote and secure human rights worldwide
- Fact-checking and referencing draft content generated by MRG staff
- Revising and reformatting draft content to next level of readiness (before professional editing stage)
- Providing miscellaneous research and analytical support associated for the Cultural Programmes department (including associated with new project design)
Essential skills / qualifications:
- Solid background in desk research (preferrably in the field of humanities and/or social sciences)
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Ability to work with deadlines.
- Understanding of culture
- Understanding of human rights
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Teamwork skills
Desirable skills / qualifications:
- Knowledge of additional languages
- Previous work experience in the human rights sector
The intern would work at MRG’s offices (London – UK) on average 2/3 days a week, for a minimum period of 3 months.
If you would like to apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter explaining how your skills and experience would be an asset for this programme and any other information that you think is relevant to email@example.com.
You will need to have permission to work in the United Kingdom.
MRG covers travel expenses (up to 8GBP) and lunch (up to 6GBP) for the days you work from the office.
Start date: January 11, 2016