Minority Rights Group International (MRG) Deputy Director, Claire Thomas, writes this opinion piece for the Thomson Reuters News Foundation.+ LEARN MORE
Turkey Programme Assistant
Deadline: Wednesday 9 March 17.00
Grade E – £23,659 full time equivalent
Please note that this is a part time position of one to two days per week, to be worked as full or half days, and the above salary will be pro-rated accordingly.
Purpose of the Job
Minority Rights Group International is looking to recruit a Turkey Programme Assistant to support the work on our programme on minority rights in Turkey. The postholder will assist the Turkey Programme Coordinator in implementing a programme of training, monitoring abuses, collating and analysing results, publications, and advocacy in Turkey. The current funded work relates to Roma communities in Turkey although in the past we have worked with a wide range of other minorities and hope and plan to do so again.
Main duties and responsibilities
The postholder will provide a broad administration support service to the Programme Coordinator. This will include supporting arranging travel and logistics, internet research, financial administration, collation and analysis of monitoring data, transfers of funding to partners and review of partner reporting. The role will involve liaising with partners, trainees, authors and others involved in the project in Turkish and being an intermediary between them and the UK based MRG staff who do not speak Turkish. Some travel to Turkey as well as in Europe e.g. to Brussels or Geneva may be required.
The successful candidate is likely to have all (or at least most) of the following:
- Spoken and written Turkish is an essential requirement of this post.
- At least one year’s experience of administrative and/or secretarial work.
- Good organisational skills and experience of creating and managing filing systems.
- Significant experience of making logistical arrangements for meetings (preferably international) and coordinating with international organisations.
- Experience and ability to work on own initiative and unsupervised during sustained periods where the programme coordinator is travelling/working from a different location.
- Good knowledge of Word, Excel, database use, e-mail and internet.
- Good numeracy and communication skills
(See full list in person specification)
Download a full job description and person specification for this position: Turkey Programme Assistant JD Feb 2016.
The position is based at MRG’s offices (London – UK). Please note, you will need to have permission to work in the United Kingdom as well as the ability to travel to Turkey and to the EU Schengen area.
Please note that interviews are provisionally scheduled to take place on the mornings of Monday 14th and Tuesday 15th March.