Minority Rights Group International (MRG) Deputy Director, Claire Thomas, writes this opinion piece for the Thomson Reuters News Foundation.+ LEARN MORE
Web Development Consultant
Closing Date: 12 June 2018
Previous applicants need not apply
MRG is seeking a web development consultant to provide technical support to our communications team. The consultant will primarily work on our Moodle online training website but also may provide advice and support to our WordPress sites.
Terms of Reference
To work with MRG staff and external web development companies to provide regular techchnical support
The consultant will have:
- Web development experience, with experience and/or knowledge of Moodle.
- Ability to manage both short term deadlines (e.g. updating website on a daily basis) and long term deadlines (e.g. manage larger projects).
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Ability to communicate complex information simply and effectively online, including use of graphics, photos and films.
- Solid experience of content management systems and HTML/CSS.
- Excellent knowledge of new digital technology.
- A willingness to take initiative, execute new ideas and work independently.
It would be desirable that candidates have:
- Developing online training packages or similar interactive learning tools, including online webinars.
- A graduate degree qualification in web design, IT, computer science, media studies or a similar and relevant discipline.
- Knowledge of Adobe photo editing and design software and producing graphics or photos for the web.
Specific tasks of the consultant
- Regular maintenance, updating and technical development of MRG’s Moodle platform, working with external providers if necessary.
- Training MRG staff on how to maintain/develop the Moodle platform.
- Quality control over websites, ensuring editorial standards are maintained and house style is adhered to.
- Work with course authors to ensure MRG’s online courses are interactive and engaging.
The consultant may be required to help register students and provide technical support to course tutors and students.
- Provide advice on overall online training strategy and provide statistics and cost estimates for planning new projects and reporting on current projects.
We envisage that the consultant would be needed in the coming months for around 1 day per week, but this may increase to 3 days during some weeks for certain projects.
If you are interested in being considered for this opportunity, please send your CV and a covering letter setting out your relevant experience and skills, a sample of your work, and specifying a fee per day to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrive by 9am on 12 June 2018.