Assistant Capacity Building Officer
Minority Rights Group International
Title: Assistant Capacity Building Officer (ACBO)
Reports to: Africa Capacity Building Officer (CBO)
Gross Salary: UGX 36,151,092 per annum (Thirty-Six Million, One Hundred Fifty One Thousand, Ninety Two Ugandan Shillings) plus 10% contribution to National Social Security Fund (NSSF)
This is a full-time post (5 days a week for 1 year in the first instance with possibility of renewal) based in Kampala.
A: Purpose of the job
The purpose of the job is to help Minority Rights Group International (MRG) achieve its aims by providing effective assistance and support for projects and programmes managed and coordinated by MRG Africa Office.
B: Main duties and responsibilities
- Programme activity:
- Provides administrative and general assistance to the Africa Capacity Building Officer and other staff primarily in the Uganda office or elsewhere in Africa.
- Assists in drafting, word-processing and formatting lengthy documents and proposals.
- Assists in planning projects and programmes.
- Assists in organizing and preparing external meetings, including logistical arrangements and background materials.
- Attends and helps facilitate programme meetings, workshops and training sessions where appropriate.
- Contributes to the monitoring and evaluation of programme activities.
- Assists in making travel and accommodation arrangements, flights, hotels, visas, insurance etc. for department colleagues, partners and visitors.
- Liaises with project and programme partners as requested.
- Liaises with MRG’s overseas Project Offices and Officers as requested.
- Helps draft, format and submit fundraising applications and donor reports, including budgets and expenditure reports.
- Reports, publications, mailings and translations:
- Circulates draft documents internally for comment.
- Coordinates distribution of publications to MRG’s regional and thematic programme networks of NGOs and other non-governmental contacts.
- Department planning:
- Prepares and circulates regular department work plans in consultation with colleagues.
- Plans own work on a regular basis in consultation with the Africa Capacity Building Officer.
- Participates in department meetings.
- Information management:
- Maintains department contacts on the database, including authors, expert readers, partners, meeting and training participants and other NGO contacts.
- Maintains and updates the partner assessment tool.
- Maintains departmental files on training, thematic issues, journals, general NGO contacts, internal documents, and staff and Council meeting minutes.
- Requests and circulates general and specific information, publications, reports, etc. from external sources as requested.
- Replies to external written and telephone inquiries in consultation with department colleagues.
- Financial, administrative and personnel support:
- Financial record-keeping and processing payments as required, including making requests for transfers and reimbursements to partners.
- Liaises with other departments as requested.
- Arranges internal meetings as requested.
- Assists with recruitment arrangements.
- Arranges induction programmes for new staff.
- Trains new colleagues in internal administrative systems.
- Makes arrangements for interns and volunteers.
- Provides office reception cover when required.
- Deputising for department colleagues:
- Responds to telephone enquiries and monitors incoming correspondence and e-mails in colleagues’ absence.
- Takes action following consultation with the Africa Capacity Building Officer.
- Confidential information:
Responsible for maintaining confidentiality. The post-holder will be entitled to a high level of access to confidential information pertaining to MRG’s strategies, to financial information and to sensitive external information that may impact on MRG’s activities.
- Degree of supervision:
The post-holder will report to the Africa Capacity Building Officer and be expected to work within the work plans of the Policy and Communications Department or Programmes Department, and of MRG within the broad objectives of the organization.
- Undertake such other tasks as may reasonably be requested by the Africa Capacity Building Officer from time to time.
- Attends staff meetings.
- Respects and works towards full implementation of MRG’s gender and equal opportunities policies in all the work involved in this post.
- Occasional foreign travel may be required.
Although the primary purpose of this post is as described above, the post holder may be required to work partly or wholly on other areas of MRG’s work. This is to allow MRG to move staff away from work which is unfunded or underfunded or is no longer a priority for the organisation, to work on areas which have more funding, are growing or which are understaffed. This will normally involve the post holder in carrying out tasks similar or identical to those listed in this job description but applied to different programmes or projects.
Please click on this link to access the person specification.
How to apply:
To be considered for this opportunity you must either already have or be able to show us that you would be able to obtain work permission to live and work in the location where the role may be based, e.g. Kampala or any other suitable and mutually agreed location.