Call for Expert Researchers: Report on the situation of Roma in Ukraine
A Partnership for All: Developing Strategies for Socio-economic cooperation between Roma communities and local authorities in Ukraine
June 2016 – June 2019
Final Evaluation – Terms of Reference
Background on the project
The initiative was prepared by MRG Europe, this project sought to empower minority communities to effectively participate in democratic reforms and policy processes, impacting their development and human rights.
Aim of the project
This programme – funded primarily by the European Commission – targeted Roma mediators, Roma community leaders, Roma NGOs, local, regional and national authorities, local municipalities and the media to ensure an empowerment of the Roma community towards more democratic reforms and political rights through advocacy, capacity building training and pilot projects.
- Evaluation workplan/inception report
- Preliminary findings (max. 5 pages) at mid-term of the evaluation period
- Final evaluation report (min 20 pages, max 35 pages excluding annexes – including 2-3-page executive summary)
The evaluation should be carried out between August 2019 and November 2019. The milestones are as follows:
- August/ September 2019: Inception report submitted to MRG by evaluator (this should be done at least 2 weeks prior to the start of field work).
- 12th of August 2019: List of possible key informants submitted to evaluator by MRG
- September 2018: Field work by evaluator.
- 1st of October 2019: 5-page statement of preliminary findings submitted to MRG by evaluator.
- 1st of November 2019: Draft report submitted to MRG by evaluator for review by MRG and partners’ staff and stakeholders.
- 15th of November 2019: Comments returned to evaluator by MRG
- 29st of November 2019: Final report submitted to MRG by evaluator
- 16th of December 2019: Ukraine translation of final executive summary of the evaluation report, submitting to MRG evaluator
MRG will share the final report with donors, partners, MRG staff, Trustees, and the general public.
The budget for this piece of work including the evaluators’ fee(s), all travel, communication, translation, insurance and other costs is 7000€.
Experience and expertise required
The evaluator or evaluation team should:
- Have a detailed knowledge of Ukraine, including legal, social, political, and human rights context
- Should have previously worked with Roma communities in Ukraine or a similar context.
- Have extensive knowledge and experience of minority rights.
- Experience of carrying out or evaluating training, capacity building, and work with smaller NGOs in unsupportive contexts.
- Should have experience of advocacy and influencing policy at local and national levels.
- Be fluent in English and have a good working knowledge of Ukrainian.
- Understanding of gender issues.
- A strong track record of evaluations carried out on comparable projects.
- Be able to travel
- Have experience of participatory evaluation methodology and know how to gain the trust of key informants.
- Work with full respect for confidentiality.
The evaluator will need to be independent of MRG and project partners, its donors, the project targets and participants and will need to demonstrate that no perceived or actual conflict of interests would arise during the evaluation. The evaluator will need to work within the time frames outlined below. The evaluation will need to satisfy all the requirement of the donors (primarily the EU), and respect evaluation guidelines issued by them.
How to apply
If you are interested in being considered for this opportunity, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 28 July 2019.
- Brief (max 4 page) CVs of all evaluation team members.
- Cover letter – indicating relevant experience and knowledge and how you meet the candidate requirements
- At least one, but if possible two, similar completed evaluation reports.
- Workplan including methodology, timetable, budget for the evaluation including plans for visits to the project community locations (This does not need to exceed 2-3 pages).
- The names of 2 references who can speak to your/ your team members’ relevant experience and suitability
Please refer to the terms of reference (TOR) below for more details.