Minority Rights Group International (MRG) Deputy Director, Claire Thomas, writes this opinion piece for the Thomson Reuters News Foundation.+ LEARN MORE
CREID Pakistan Programme Officer (Minorities and Freedom of Religion or Belief and Development)
Minority Rights Group International is seeking a CREID Pakistan Programme Officer (Minorities and Freedom of Religion or Belief and Development).
The purpose of the job is to help Minority Rights Group (MRG) achieve its aims and objectives through the implementation of an element of a larger programme to be delivered in a Consortium – the Consortium for Religious Equality and Inclusive Development (CREID) which will investigate, report on and act on ways in which religion, religious actors and religious discrimination are factor that impact on development and the achievement of economic, social and participation rights. The post holder will also contribute to MRG’s core principles and strategy, and may also help develop new programmes in the Asia region.
Job title: CREID Pakistan Programme Officer (Minorities and Freedom of Religion or Belief and Development)
Reports to: Deputy Director
Salary: Grade C (adjusted for local living standards – if appropriate)
Location: Either London UK, or any location in Pakistan with good internet access and communications – (preference for Lahore or Islamabad). Location must have low risks of interference or interruptions, good internet access and good travel connections. Post holder must be able to travel to Pakistan on work related visits without needing to make a visa request. Unfortunately, a work permit for the UK is not obtainable for this post.
Duration: This will be a 2 day per week post and will run from 1st September 2019 (or soon thereafter) for three years (although there is a possibility of renewal if funding permits). (If the post holder is based in Pakistan, the budget will allow for more days/week as the salary will be adjusted to local living standards although regular visits to the UK would be needed for monitoring, training, project meetings.
Some of the tasks will be:
- Develop and implement plans to deliver the Pakistan element of the CREID which compromises investigations of dangerous hate speech featuring religion both online and offline and other elements of development programming and social norms and legal rules that impact on equal development across religious communities.
- Contributes to the development and design of new programmes for additional work in the region.
- Providing advice to partners on project elements including freedom of religion and belief, equality and online and offline hate speech in Pakistan.
- Supporting partners to build national networks and to carry out advocacy nationally and internationally, and produce materials and do research to educate and inform and challenge prejudice.
- Investigating and implementing new ways to build organisational capacity of partners
- Carrying out advocacy in person and in writing about freedom and religion and belief and minority rights issues.
- Supporting partners and programme participants if they are threatened as a result of their cooperation with the programme
- Good knowledge of freedom of religion and belief within the field of human rights, with particular emphasis on Pakistan
- Good working knowledge of international human rights and minority rights
- Knowledge of the current social and political context in Pakistan, including the situation and needs of minority communities in the area and religious minorities in particular
- 1 year experience working thematically on freedom of religion or belief
- 1 years experience of working on human rights (preferably minority rights) in Pakistan with a similar level of responsibility to that of this post
- 1 year experience of work involving online or offline hate speech
- 1 years experience successfully managing international projects including drawing up and managing budgets, monitoring, scheduling, and evaluation
- 1 years experience of work involving complex security settings
- 1 year experience of programme design and /or liaison with donors
A full job description and person specification is here: CREID Pakistan Programme Officer
How to apply:
All candidates who wish to apply for the above post must submit their completed MRG Application Form together with the Equal Opportunities Questionnaire to email@example.com by 21st August 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Interviews to be w/c 2nd September 2019.
Please note we do not accept CVs.