Minority Rights Group International (MRG) Deputy Director, Claire Thomas, writes this opinion piece for the Thomson Reuters News Foundation.+ LEARN MORE
Strategic Litigation on Anti-Discrimination and Minority Rights Issues Programme in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia and Kosovo
The evaluator concluded that the programme “was highly relevant to the needs of target groups. Its design was coherent and adequate to support the achievement of the programme objectives.” And that “Despite deficiencies identified in the way the programme was implemented, its outcomes are valuable for the further advancement of minority rights in the programme countries.
Two positive court decisions against discriminatory practices were obtained, at least one of which has characteristics of a powerful legal precedent. The case Finci v. BiH is by any definition a landmark one not only for Bosnia and Herzegovina, but also for the international level protection against discrimination. Where no judicial decision was reached, the value of the programme laid in its power to enhance the prospects for greater use of the anti-discrimination mechanisms for the protection of minority rights.” The evaluator was more critical of MRG’s method of selecting partners for legal cases work, of how partners’ efforts were monitored and whether MRG did enough to build the capacity of partners to carry out similar work in future.
Find out more
Download the full report.
Read more about the Finci v. BiH case.
For detailed country information about Bosnia, Croatia and Kosovo visit our online directory.
Share this content:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina: Bosniak barred from running for Presidency
- Bosnia and Herzegovina: Ensuring the political participation of minorities
- Discrimination and political participation in Bosnia and Herzegovina (March 2010)
- Filling the Vacuum: Ensuring Protection and Legal Remedies for Minorities in Kosovo (May 2009)
- Five essential elements for a long-term solution for Kosovo (December 2007)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina: National Minorities and the Right to Education (June 2006)
- Croatia: Challenges for Sustainable Return of Ethnic Serb Refugees (October 2005)
- Minorities in Croatia