COSP Side Event: Reaching Indigenous and Minority Persons with Disabilities
This side event takes place under the sub-theme of ‘Reaching the under-represented groups of persons with disabilities’ and aims to exchange strategies to collectively reach, include and champion the rights of people with disabilities from minority, indigenous and racialised communities.
Co-sponsored by the National Secretary on the Promotion of the Rights of People with Disabilities of the Government of Brazil, Minority Rights Group International, and Instituto Jô Clemente, the event will explore the concrete steps being taken by civil society organisations, policy makers and human rights organisations to address ableism and racism through intersectional approaches.
- Pratima Gurung – National Indigenous Disabled Women’s Association Nepal (NIDWAN)
- Luciana Viegas – Vidas Negras com Deficiência Importam (VNDI)
- Ronie Vitorino – Instituto Jô Clemente
- Krishna Gahatraj – National Indigenous Disabled Women Association Nepal (NIDWAN) / Disability Rights Fund (DRF)
- Ana Paula Feminella – National Secretary on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Human Rights, Brazil
- June Bartuin – Endorois Indigenous Women Empowerment Network (EIWEN) – Facilitator
Registration and details
Watch the recording
Image: July 2022 protests in Brazil following the torture and killing of Genivaldo de Jesus Santos, a black man diagnosed with schizophrenia, by the Brazilian Federal Highway Police on 25 May 2022.