Minority Rights Group International (MRG) Deputy Director, Claire Thomas, writes this opinion piece for the Thomson Reuters News Foundation.+ LEARN MORE
Iran/Iraq Ceasefire Project Intern (Farsi Speaking)
Deadline for applications: 17.00 (GMT) on Monday 10th September 2018
The Ceasefire Project is a multi-year action mainly funded by the European Union to implement a system of civilian-led monitoring of human rights abuses, initially in Iraq and now also in Iran, focusing in particular on the rights of vulnerable civilians including vulnerable women (such as those fleeing violence), ethnic/religious minorities, and human rights defenders, and to assess the feasibility of extending civilian-led monitoring to other country situations.
We are looking for a Farsi-speaking intern to support the project with tasks including:
- Research and production of texts for internal and external use on issues relating to the programme
- Administrative and logistical support to the programme coordinator and officer (helping to organise trainings and conferences, advocacy trips, putting together mailing lists and advocacy lists, etc.)
- Assist in drafting and formatting lengthy documents and proposals.
- Assist with film festival entries and coordination of documentary film commissioning activities
- Translation of relevant documents from Arabic/Farsi to English and vice versa.
You should have fluent English. Knowledge of Iran, Iraq or the wider Middle East could be an advantage, as would the knowledge of human rights or international humanitarian law.
You would work at our London office either full or part-time for an initial period of three months, with an option to renew upon mutual agreement. Candidates that can stay for 6 months are particularly encouraged to apply.
The start date for this internship would be in September 2018.
If you would like to apply, please send your CV and a cover letter (one page) to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you would like to work on this programme and how you think your previous experience would support you to complete the tasks above. Please indicate when you are available to start, how many days a week you could work, and any other information that you think is relevant.
The deadline for applications is 17.00 (GMT) on Monday 10th September 2018.
Please mark clearly in the subject area ‘Ceasefire Intern Application’.
You will need to have permission to work in the UK. Please kindly note that we are not able to cover your relocation expenses.
This internship is unpaid. We can cover travel expenses (up to £8) and lunch (up to £6) daily in case you work from MRG’s office.