Iran-Iraq Programme Intern (Arabic speaking preferable)
Iran-Iraq Programme Intern (Arabic speaking)
Minority Rights Group International is looking for an Arabic-speaking intern to work on its Iran-Iraq Programme. This programme seeks to protect the human rights of vulnerable civilians (including women and minorities) in Iran and Iraq by strengthening human rights defenders (HRDs). Through training, legal representation, technical support, and other capacity-building activities, the programme aims to build a network of HRD activists trained to effectively monitor and report human rights violations, mitigate the on-going security challenges and advocate for increased protection by local, national and international actors.
We are looking for an Arabic-speaking intern to support the programme with tasks including:
- Administrative and logistical support to the programme officers (helping to organise trainings and conferences, advocacy trips, putting together mailing lists and advocacy lists, etc.)
- Research and drafting of texts for internal and external use on issues relating to the programme
- Assisting with film festival entries and coordination of documentary film launch activities
- Translation of relevant documents from Arabic to English and vice versa.
Essential skills / qualifications:
- Fluency and advanced writing skills in English and Arabic
- Knowledge of Iraq, Iran or the wider Middle East region
- Capacity to conduct desk-based research
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to work towards tight deadlines
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to work on own initiative (some of the team are based overseas)
- Teamwork skills.
Desirable skills / qualifications:
- Knowledge of human rights or international humanitarian law
- Understanding of minority rights and minority communities in Iraq and Iran.
The intern would work at MRG’s offices (London – UK) a minimum of 2 days a week, for a minimum period of 3 months, with an option to renew upon mutual agreement.
If you would like to apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter (1 page) explaining how your skills and experience would be an asset for this programme, and indicating when you are available to start, how many days a week you could work, and any other information that you think is relevant to our recruitment team. Please mark clearly in the subject area ‘Iran-Iraq Programme Intern.’ Applications should be sent to email@example.com.
Deadline for applications: 9 am – 31st October 2019
Start date: November 2019
You will need to have permission to work in the United Kingdom. Please kindly note that we are not able to cover your relocation expenses.
This internship is unpaid. MRG covers travel expenses (up to 9GBP) and lunch (up to 7.50GBP) for the days you work from the office.