Egypt Project Assistant (closing date: 25 November)
Title: Egypt Project Assistant (consultancy)
Location: Egypt, nationwide.
Duration: December 2020 until July 2022
Salary: Grade E, 2.5 days/week, EGP 11,000 per month
Purpose of the job
As part of MRG’s continued work on MENA, MRG is hiring an Egypt Project Assistant. The assistant will play an integral role in implementing MRG’s projects in Egypt.
Main duties and responsibilities
Contributes to the implementation of MRG Egypt programme’s activities within the objectives set by the Program Coordinator.
- Liaises with cultural organizations and assists in the establishment of partnerships with them.
- Investigates ways to build the institutional capacity of partners and help build bridges between them and cultural centers
- Conducts research on different local communities’ cultural expressions with an eye to their needs and the developments of their situation
- Collaborates with the organizations based in Egypt and expands the reach of MRG’s network.
- Help organise and attend partner meetings, roundtable events, advocacy meetings and training sessions where appropriate.
- Coordinate all travel arrangements, including visas, liaise with embassies, write letters of recommendation, secure competitive insurance cover, liaise with travel agencies.
- Translate emails, documents, applications, and reports from Arabic to English and English to Arabic.
- Gather, maintain and use a contacts database or mechanisms to ensure that information about the project, calls for proposals, publications and advocacy materials etc reach as wide as possible an audience across the MENA region.
- Gather, maintain and keep up-to-date a database with project documentation.
Education and Knowledge
- A university degree in a relevant field (political science, sociology, anthropology, social sciences, communication, culture studies…etc).
- Knowledge of the Egypt diverse cultural landscape as well as the various cultural expressions in the country
- Good knowledge in the field of culture management with particular emphasis on Egypt
- Good knowledge of minority cultures and an understanding of minority issues and circumstances.
- At least 2 years experience of making logistical arrangements for local and international meetings/ seminars and/ or conferences and coordinating with international organisations.
- At least 1 year experience in coordinating projects in cultural fields on a local level (culture includes the creative arts: art/theatre/audio-visual/film/song/creative writing).
- At least 1 year of administrative and/or secretarial experience
- Demonstrable exceptional organisational and logistics skills.
- Fluent written and spoken English and Arabic
- Experience and ability to work on own initiative and unsupervised during sustained periods where the programme coordinator is travelling/working from different location.
- Ability to manage several tasks simultaneously, organise and prioritise own work and meet deadlines.
- Good letter writing skills; and ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Very good numeracy skills, attention to detail.
- Commitment to the work, aims and objectives of MRG.
- Experience of working in an NGO environment.
- Enthusiastic about working in a multicultural environment.
- Committed to gender equity and equal opportunities.
- Good interpersonal skills and experience of long distance teamwork.
- Experience in work on projects related to enhancing tolerance respect for diversity and pluralism as well as on intersectional discrimination issues
- Experience working with minority groups and indigenous people in Egypt
- Previous experience in upper Egypt an asset
Abilities and Skills
- Fluency in both Arabic and English (written and spoken)
- Demonstrable knowledge of human rights and gender issues
- A team player, ability to work in groups and maintain on-going and productive contact with remote team members
- Organized, reliable and self-motivated
- Commitment to protecting and promoting minority rights
The incumbent should be able to travel to Egypt on work related trips.
In order to apply, please send your resume and cover letter with the name and contact information of two references.
All documents should be sent as one email to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions concerning the consultancy should be sent to the same email.
The deadline for applications is November 25, 2020 11 pm GMT.