Job Vacancy: Head of Legal (maternity cover)
Full-time, mid-October 2020 to the end of August 2021
Grade B – £39,543 to £44,373 per annum for UK employees, including London weighting
Preferably UK-based, although we are all still working at home
The main purpose of this job is to lead and inspire the Law department, and to develop the scope and ambit of law-related advocacy, with the aim of using legal tools to fulfill MRG’s mission to realise the rights of minorities and indigenous peoples around the world.
This full time role as Head of Legal at MRG breaks down into (approximately):
- 50% – oversight of design, delivery, implementation, monitoring and reporting of legal programmes and implementation of legal programme activities
- 30% – oversee strategic litigation cases and advocacy
- 20% – lead on legal elements of all programmes at MRG
We are looking for someone with the relevant skills and experience. So if you have,
- First-class legal abilities, including the ability to draft legal documents (including third party interventions and procedural documents) for a variety of legal fora (including regional human rights fora) sometimes at short notice.
- At least three years’ experience working on human rights legal programmes.
- At least two years’ experience working on minority or related issues and of staff and project management.
- Successful track record in the design/development of new projects to implementation.
- Ability to work pro-actively with fund-raising staff to develop and find support for new areas of work.
- Excellent inter-personal skills, ability to forge strong working relationships.
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken.
- Ability to deliver complex tasks or projects to deadline, sometimes under pressure.
- Computer literate and knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, the Internet and email packages.
- Must be fluent in written and spoken English and French.
- and are committed to the aims and objectives of MRG.
We’d like to hear from you!
For more information and full details, download the Job description & Person Specification.
We particularly want to encourage applications from people from minorities, especially from people of colour and people with disabilities, as these are under-represented within this team.
We are occasionally able to sponsor visas, but only if we cannot find an applicant with an existing right to work in the UK.
How to apply