Middle East & North Africa team administrative assistant (closes 27 November)
Title: Middle East & North Africa (MENA) team Administrative Assistant
Reports to: Head of MENA
Grade: Grade E, salary from £27,993 (full-time) in London
Hours: This is a part time role (2.5 days/week)
Minority Rights Group International (MRG) is the leading international human rights organization working to secure the rights of ethnic, religious and linguistic minorities and indigenous peoples. We work with more than 130 partners in over 60 countries.
We are looking for someone to fill this new role and provide all-round administrative support to the MENA department at MRG. The work is a combination of working from home and in MRG’s office in London. Initially the work could be done largely from home but there may be periods when work responsibilities require work in the London office.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Updating (and develop) internal systems to track and coordinate training, sub-granting and advocacy activities through MENA.
- Updating MRG’s contact relationship management software with contacts and mailings, producing mailing lists (either using CRM or occasionally manually).
- Helping to identify, select and contract suppliers (e.g. consultants/ trainers / tutors/ film producers): posting ads, organising selection, contracts, payments.
- Supporting the organisation of (online and offline) events: organising venues, equipment, invitations, mailing lists.
- Supporting training: organising selection, organising trainers / tutors (contracts, payments), organising venue, flight bookings, visa letters and other support, arranging fixer, arranging translator
- Liaising with projects’ partners: sub-granting, communication, financial and narrative reporting and payments.
- Supporting staff to capture and present monitoring, evaluation and learning data.
- Supporting staff to maintain complete records of projects activities, results and timeline.
- Supporting staff to quality control budgets and reports, liaison with finance team re auditor’s queries or to input into financial reports to donors
- Supporting staff in project design including comparing/researching existing initiatives, identifying organisations engaged on the topic of interest, budget design.
- Take notes of external/internal meetings
- Undertake research on donors/funding streams etc.
- Possibly working on small applications and assisting on larger bids (e.g. by writing/updating sections).
Provides advice to and liaises with:
- All MRG staff on administrative matters relevant to MENA team.
- MRG finance team on financial transactions, reporting and audits.
- Partners who are co-operating in the implementation of operational work.
- Consultants, donors, authors, film makers, journalists, trainers, temporary staff and experts
- Undertakes such other tasks as may reasonably requested by the Head of MENA from time to time.
- Cover for the work of other administrative staff who are on leave or who are unwell or to support a colleague during an exceptionally busy period.
- Personally respect and work towards full implementation of MRG’s Gender and Equal Opportunities Policies in all the work involved in this post.
- The job holder will be required to maintain the pace of work which may at peak times be high, will need to meet deadlines and manage several tasks at the same time.
- Although the primary purpose of this post is as described above the post holder may be required to work partly or wholly on other areas of MRG’s work. This is to allow MRG to move staff away from work which is unfunded or underfunded or is no longer a priority for the organisation, to work on areas which have more funding, are growing or which are understaffed. This will normally involve the post holder in carrying out tasks similar or identical to those listed in this job description but applied to different programmes or projects.
- The postholder will be responsible for a high level of access to confidential information pertaining to strategies, finance, personnel, operations and external relations which they must ensure they and others retain as confidential.
- At least two years’ experience of administration support, including financial processing, databases, record keeping, organising events.
- Experience of living and working in areas of the global south.
Abilities and Skills
- Excellent written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Good working knowledge of French.
- Numerate and accurate
- Ability to prioritise work, and meet deadlines
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and to assess and absorb information quickly
- Computer literate and expert knowledge of Word for Windows, Excel, databases, etc
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Commitment to the aims and objectives of MRG.
- Commitment to gender equality and willingness to implement MRG’s gender policy.
- Enthusiastic about working in a multicultural environment.
- Committed to equal opportunities.
How to apply
To apply, please fill in our application form and then attach it to the form below. The application closes on 27 November 2022.
MRG values diversity. As an organization, minorities, indigenous persons, people with disabilities and people of colour are under-represented in our team and thus we particularly welcome applications from these groups.