Opportunity: Funded Minority Workplace Fellowships in South West State (Closes 30 November 2023)
Minority Rights Group, Save Minority Women and Children, and Marginalised Communities Advocates Network are offering eight individuals the opportunity to work for eleven months in a South West State Ministry, Department or Government agency, or in Federal Parliament (in an office or committee relevant to SWS).
Goal: To increase the participation of minority individuals in government decision making, policy setting, and implementation. The fellowship will also support the creation of a cohort of skilled and influential minority individuals who have the opportunity to inform policy and serve as a bridge between policy makers and minority communities.
Fellows will receive a monthly stipend (amount to be disclosed during the interview), a grant to obtain/upgrade relevant communications equipment and training and mentoring support throughout the 11 month-long placement.
To qualify, candidates must:
- Originate from South West State or have been resident in South West State for the last five years.
- Have a university/bachelor degree OR have at least four years work experience in a relevant professional field comparable to work placements in the fellowship.
- Have a proven track record of activism in support of minority communities including youth volunteering, advocacy work, community or social work, or action research with minority communities.
- Be under the age of 40 on 1st December 2023.
- Be able to demonstrate a career path focused on public service or provide a clear and compelling rationale for switching to such a career path at this time.
- Have a good working knowledge of northern standard (Mahaatiri) Somali.
- Be willing to be based in Baidoa, Barawe, or Mogadishu (fellows may be assigned a location based on availability. We will, however, be understanding of familial responsibilities, as well as security concerns linked to moving to certain locations. We will either mitigate or find ways to work around these when possible).
Our objective is to select a diverse group of fellows.. As such, five out of the eight fellows selected will be women, and minority women are strongly encouraged to apply. No more than three out of eight fellows will be returnees from outside SWS or outside Somalia, and no more than five out of eight fellows will be over the age of 30. No more than three out of the eight fellows will be of Rahanweyn origin. We hope that at least one of the eight minority fellows will be a person living with a disability (or someone with experience caring for household members living with a disability.) We will seek to select a group of fellows with as wide a range of relevant (minority) languages and dialects as possible. When applying, please mention all relevant languages and dialects spoken and please note we may verify proficiency.
For more information, see FAQs here:
To apply, please complete the application form below and upload all supporting documents. If you are unable to upload materials, alternatively, you can email us the form and all attachments to email@example.com by 30 November 2023.
Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest news about minorities and indigenous peoples from around the world.