Minority Rights Group International (MRG) Deputy Director, Claire Thomas, writes this opinion piece for the Thomson Reuters News Foundation.+ LEARN MORE
MENA Programmes Intern
MENA programmes intern (Arabic-speaking)
Deadline for applications: 9 am UK time – 5th November 2018
Minority Rights Group International is looking for an Arabic-speaking intern to work on its MENA Programme. This is a unique opportunity to gain insight into circumstances in which minorities and indigenous communities live, mainly in the Middle East and North Africa region. The MENA Programme currently includes a cross-regional capacity building and awareness project with religious minorities, a project working with ethnic and religious minorities in Egypt, and a project on intersectional discrimination in Tunisia.
We are looking for an Arabic-speaking intern to support these projects with tasks including:
- Translating briefings and reports from English to Arabic.
- Administrative and logistical support to the programme coordinator and assistant (organise meetings, plan trips, filing documents, process financial documents, etc).
- Creation and update of a database.
- Research on issues related to the programme.
- Excellent writing skills in standard Arabic and fluency in English.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to work towards tight deadlines.
- Good organisational skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative (some of the team are based overseas).
- Teamwork skills.
- Knowledge of the Middle East and North Africa region.
- A relevant translation degree or previous experience in this sector.
- Working knowledge of French.
- Interest in Human Rights issues and understanding of minority rights and minority communities in the Middle East and North Africa region.
The intern will work at MRG’s offices (London – UK) a minimum of 3 days a week and a minimum period of 3 months.
If you would like to apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter (1 page) explaining how your skills and experience would be an asset to this programme, and indicating when you are available to start, how many days a week you could work, and any other information that you think is relevant to email@example.com. Please mark clearly in the subject area ‘MENA Programme Intern‘
Deadline for applications: 9 am – 5th November 2018
You will need to have permission to work in the United Kingdom. Please kindly note that we are not able to cover your relocation expenses.
This internship is unpaid. MRG covers travel expenses (up to 8GBP per day) and lunch (up to 6GBP per day) for the days you work from the office.
Start date: ASAP