State of the World’s Minorities and Indigenous Peoples 2010
A decade into the new century sees religious minorities confronting serious violations of their rights around the globe. Following the violent attacks of 11 September 2001, governments of every political hue have used “war on terror” rhetoric to justify the repression of religious communities.
Other religious minorities have faced a violent backlash, often unjustly accused of siding with belligerents. In Africa, the Middle East, Asia and Latin America, armed conflict and land seizures have forced minority and indigenous communities away from locations central to their religious beliefs. Europe has witnessed gains by extreme right-wing political parties which are targeting religious minorities with their inflammatory language.
In Central Asia, governments have introduced tough new registration requirements for religious communities and prevented the building of places of worship. In State of the World’s Minorities and Indigenous Peoples 2010, Minority Rights Group International offers a comprehensive overview of the situation faced by minorities in a world increasingly divided along religious lines. It includes:
- An analysis of government initiatives that contribute to the marginalisation of religious minorities, such as religious profiling and registration laws.
- First-hand accounts, from around the world, of the discrimination and exclusion faced by those belonging to minorities who wish to exercise their right to freedom of religion and belief.
- An exploration of grassroots efforts through interfaith dialogue to ease tensions, overcome conflicts, and promote peaceful and equitable development.
- An overview of the human rights situation of minorities and indigenous peoples in every major world region.
- The unique statistical ranking and analysis, Peoples under Threat 2010.
An invaluable reference for policy makers, academics, journalists and everyone who is interested in the human rights situation of minorities and indigenous peoples around the world.
- Download: Full Text
- Download: Foreword
- Download: Religious minorities in a post-9/11 world
- Download: Engaging across divides: interfaith dialogue for peace and justice
- Download: Religious minorities and the Millennium Development Goals
- Download: Balancing women's rights with freedom of religion
- Download: Africa
- Download: Americas
- Download: Asia and Oceania
- Download: Europe
- Download: Middle East
- Download: Reference section (including Peoples under threat 2010)
- Read the global press release (link)
- Read the Asia press release (link)
- Read the Europe press release (link)
- Read the Europe press release (Hungarian, PDF)
- Read the Europe press release (Czech, PDF)
- Read the Europe press release (Polish, PDF)