UPR of the United Kingdom – MRG’s submission
Minority Rights Group International (MRG), has submitted a written contribution ahead of the third Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of the United Kingdom (UK), scheduled for May 2017.
Our submission focuses on the behaviour of the UK Government towards the Chagos Islanders forcibly removed from their ancestral home on the Chagos Islands in the 1970s, in light of its obligations under the international law.
The full report can be accessed here.
MRG’s suggestions of recommendations include:
- Recognise the violations that the Chagossians have endured after being removed from the islands;
- Repeal the two 2004 Orders in Council;
- Facilitate and support the Chagossians’ right to return to the islands immediately;
- Pay the Chagossians adequate compensation for the violation of their rights over the past 40 years; and
- Appropriately consult with and seek the free, prior and informed consent of the Chagossians in relation to the return and compensation process.